Skip to main navigation.

Search Capital Credits



Capital Credits

Operating at cost is part of the cooperative difference.

When you signed up for electric service with HCREMC, you became a member of a non-profit electric cooperative. As a non-profit cooperative, HCREMC does not technically earn profits. Instead, any revenues left over after covering our operating expenses are allocated back to our members. These allocations are called capital credits.

How capital credits work:

  • HCREMC tracks how much electricity you buy and how much money you pay for it throughout the year.
  • At the end of the year, HCREMC completes financial matters and determines whether there is excess revenue, called margins. 
  • HCREMC allocates the margins to members capital credits based upon their use of electricity during the year.
  • When HCREMC's financial condition permits, your board of directors decides to retire, or pay the capital credits.
  • HCREMC notifies members of how, and when, they will receive capital credit retirements.

​Visit our Capital Credits FAQ page for more information.


​Things to know about retirements:

  • When you receive a capital credit check, it is based on how much you paid for electric service during the specified retirement period.
  • When sending out capital credit checks, the address used is the address we currently have on file at the REMC. If a member moved off the REMC system and did not provide a forwarding address, it is possible the check will be returned to the REMC. 
    • ​Returned checks will be held for two years. 
  • ​Members may use the search option found at the top of this page to see if their eligible for a capital credit check. 
  • If the member named on the account is deceased, an authorized heir may claim the amount by simply filling out the proper paperwork. For estate capital credit claims, please download the information packet below that pertains to the estates current situation. After downloading the proper information packet, please read the information carefully and follow the instructions for filing your claim. Mail the completed forms to our office for review at Attn: Capital Credits, Henry County REMC, P.O. Box D, New Castle, IN 47362. A cooperative representative will contact you if there are questions regarding the claim. 
  • For dissolved businesses, please contact the HCREMC office at 1-800-248-8413.
Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo