Are you a high school student? Do you want to spend a day as a page at the Indiana State Senate? If so, you might be the perfect candidate for Page Day. The 2019 event is scheduled for Jan. 23. Application deadline is Jan. 11.
What is Page Day?
Page Day is an interactive, educational experience that allows high school students to witness state government in action.
What kind of activities take place during Page Day
Students will tour Indiana's historical Statehouse, learn about their state's government and pass legislation of their own during a mock bill activity.
What about missing school?
Indiana law allows Hoosier students to serve as a page one day per legislative session and receive an excused absence from school. The Senate will provide the necessary documentation.
What should pages wear?
- Ladies: Suggested options include skirts or dresses (no shorter than fingertip length), dress slacks, blouse or sweater. If you wear leggings you must wear a fingertip-length top. Wear comfortable, yet appropriate, shoes.
- Gentlemen: Suggested options include a suit or dress slacks with belt, a collared shirt, sweater or sport coat with collared shirt. Ties are recommended but optional. Wear comfortable, yet appropriate, shoes.
What NOT to wear?
- Ladies: Jeans, halter/tank tops/sleeveless tops, low cut/midriff-showing tops, mini-skirts/dresses, T-shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants or flip flops.
- Gentlemen: Jeans, low slung pants, T-shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants or flip flops.
How does check-in, check-out work?
Pages should plan to arrive at the Senate page office at 8:30 a.m., for registration and orientation. Pages will be dismissed at 3:30 p.m. At the end of the day parents should wait in the hallway and your child will come to you.
Is lunch provided?
Yes. Lunch will be provided for students by Indiana Electric Cooperatives.
Will I get a picture with my legislator?
We will work with Senate staff and do our best to make sure students receive a photo with their legislator. Pictures taken by the Senate photographer will be mailed to students and will be available to view on IndianaSenatePage.com.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Visit INDIANAEC.ORG/?P=287.